Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Everyday Life

   Thank you for all the emails! I got your letter today Mom (from 2-27-13) and also a Dear Elder from Aunt Theresa. Thank you so much!!!

 Alright, I will start by answering some questions...

 Teaching the Gospel is awesome, every day all day, and there is always more to learn. The hard part is applying it to their needs, and helping them see how it can benefit them.

The language is hard, but understanding it is getting easier, and speaking it...is where it is getting hard, especially the pronunciation.

We have an investigator named Brian, he is 15, and we have had to move his baptismal date back in order to work with his needs.

We do a lot of tracting to find people. The people we meet have a classic line: "Next Time Na Lang" which basically means they are busy sitting, or texting, or watching t.v.- However a lot of our work is with less actives it feels like.

Mostly everyone speaks some English or at least understands it,  even when they say its OK to just speak English...we just keep talking to them in Tagalog.

We don't teach at church, but we do attend the classes with the investigators and less actives that show up.


 I need to explain what Gulay is on the blog (they just make a soup with a bunch of veggies and put it on rice to eat. It's one of the leaves that they put in it I don't like).

 More questions to be answered...


  -It is humid every day! I drink about 2.5 to 3 liters of water easy, and pee about once or twice a day since I just sweat it all out.
 - The rain season can start in June, July or August from what I have heard, not sure how long it lasts.
  -Today I put my shoe on and got a squishy cockroach surprise!
  - I have a lot of mosquito bites:/

And that it pretty much all! Oh wait that last one, I tried the Balut (duck egg) and it tasted great. It was like hot chicken noodle soup! I will be able to show you the video I made once I get home.

Things I would also like to add. There are A LOT of confused men here that aren't sure what kind of clothes guys wear, so they end up wearing girls clothes, growing out their hair and thinking they were meant to be women (I am putting it nicely) anyway I had my hair cut by one of these gentlemen, and he started asking if he would have to change to be baptized. He asked for our number and we gave him a restoration pamphlet, but I think he just wanted to visit us because of our looks.

Lastly, before I add pictures, I want you to know that I love it here! I love the people, I love the missionaries, and I love everything!! I am sure this place was meant for me! I love you all, keep sending emails and pictures!!!!















The pictures include me and my comp, a jeepney ride, our mission presidents house, our zone, and some other stuff- oh like our new beds! I'm on the top right one.

 More news soon-Elder Roy

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Dakota! Sounds like you are doing exactly like you should keep up the good work and you will see a lot of results. You will also get the language soon just have fun and work hard and it will come. you may have heard this before, but 1 thing I did to help with the language was always talk to the kids. They already think white people are crazy so it can't hurt anything. We would actually commit them to baptism just for practice.

    ReplyDelete